Professor Bloom is a committed Ophalmologist, working in both NHS and private practice. In addition to a busy clinical practice, he’s also a passionate clinical researcher, and an active teacher.
He holds a number of national leadership roles including:
- Presidency of the Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology Section
- Keeler Scholarship Board Trustee
- Honorary Treasurer & council member of UKISCRS
- Trustee of the International Glaucoma Association
- Chairman, IGA grants committee
- Service Director Western Eye Hospital (WEH)
- Lead Clinician for glaucoma & cataract services at WEH and Hillingdon
- Minimally invasive cataract surgery.
- Spectacle independence following cataract surgery, including the use of toric & multifocal intraocular lenses.
- Medical, laser and surgical treatment of glaucoma, including selective laser trabeculoplasty & endoscopic cyclo-photocoagulation.
- Neuroprotection in glaucoma treatment.
- Use of virtual reality surgical simulation in teaching & training.
NHS and Academic posts
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, jointly between The Western Eye Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust) & The Hillingdon Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor of Ophthalmology, Middlesex University.
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, Imperial College School of Medicine.
From the consultant
It is a great privilege to be involved in the compassionate delivery of patient-centred and clinically effective care benefitting the ocular health of my patients; I am fortunate to be in this unique and fascinating vocation.
For over 20 years as a Consultant, I have applied my energies to providing the highest possible quality in both my private and NHS practices. I have done so without allowing my commitment in either sector to reduce the excellence of service I offer to the other, however different are the individual models of care.
I have published over 100 articles and books / book chapters (mostly in peer-reviewed journals). In addition I am active in national teaching and training programs, including a post-graduate diploma course for GPs and optometrists.
I have been honoured by colleagues who have elected me to serve in a number of leadership positions; I believe that I was highly effective in fulfilling my duties.