Learning to eat well, lose weight sustainably, and manage your weight effectively, is one of the most valuable things you’ll ever do to ensure your long-term health and wellbeing. With our expert one-to-one help, you’ll succeed in doing that – even if you’ve struggled with your weight before.
Over the years, as the UK’s leading private diabetes centre, we’ve developed enormous expertise in nutrition and weight management, to help patients live better with that complex lifelong condition
Today, we apply that world-class expertise to providing tailor-made, state-of-the-art support and treatment for anyone wanting to lose weight and live more healthily. We have particular expertise in the field of childhood obesity.
Why lose weight?
Carrying excess weight can have serious health implications, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and cancer, as well as diabetes.
But the good news is that losing even a small amount can make a big difference to your future health prospects.
In fact, research shows that losing just 5 – 10% of total body weight can have significant benefits, leading to improvement in glycaemic control, a reduction in blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
No quick-fixes: lose weight for good
As you may know from experience, short-term quick-fix solutions to weight loss hardly ever deliver lasting results. If you want to lose weight for good, in order to live a long and healthy life, it’s essential to take a realistic and sustainable approach.
At London Medical, our goal is to put you in control of your weight, once and for all. Our expert clinical team will assess your risk factors, past medical and social history and current lifestyle, and then provide the help and support you need, on a personal one-to-one basis.
Whether or not you have diabetes, losing weight is one of the very best things you can do for your health. But it can seem a daunting challenge. At the London Medical, we’re here to provide all the expert help and support you need to develop – and follow – a truly personalised weight management programme.
By putting your trust in London Medical, you get:
- World-class expertise from our leading team of academic and clinical opinion-leaders and consultants in the field of weight management
- Access to the latest state-of-the-art treatments for obesity, as soon as evidence of their safety and effectiveness is obtained, by our clinicians who are involved in their development and clinical trials
- Access to expert support from many different specialities, under one roof
- Proven expertise in helping you manage your eating patterns and achieve an agreed long term weight maintenance goal
- Information and support via apps, email and Skype, to keep in contact with you and help you throughout your journey
- Expertise in bariatric surgery – in cases where obesity has reached a serious health-endangering level. There is much evidence now to support this kind of surgical intervention in terms of health benefits, life expectancy and safety. Referrals will be made to Mr Ahmed Ahmed, who is the head of the Bariatric Surgery Unit at Imperial College.
SmartWeight™ – the key to sustainable success
Devised by a specialist multidisciplinary team with over 30 years’ combined experience in weight management, the London Medical SmartWeight™ programme focuses on achieving a healthy weight and maintaining it for ever.
It’s not just about our dietitians telling you what you should or shouldn’t eat. Instead, SmartWeight takes a “holistic” approach, helping you to understand your relationship with food and its role in your wellbeing, and guiding you through the changes you need to make in your lifestyle, to achieve the weight that is right for you.
And you don’t always have to visit the clinic to get help and encouragement from us. Wherever you happen to be, we can be there for you – providing expert support or a second opinion by email, phone or video consultation.
State-of-the-art medication and treatment
For most patients, changes in diet and lifestyle produce excellent results. But, depending on your specific weight management issues and associated health problems, your personalised programme may incorporate advanced medications, such as the revolutionary new weight-loss drugs Saxenda® and Mysimba®.
We can also provide expert advice on he use of devices, such as an endobarrier or gastric balloon, and even bariatric surgery.
Looking ahead, as a London Medical patient, you will also be best placed to benefit from revolutionary new treatments, as soon as they are approved for use, as members of our team are involved in developing and testing them.