Expert paediatric endocrinology care for children and young people with hormone disorders.
Paediatric Endocrinology is the care and treatment of children and young people with hormone disorders. Hormones are the body’s chemical messengers. They travel in the blood to help the tissues or organs work effectively. Normally, the body keeps the hormones in a delicate balance. Hormone problems can affect a child’s growth or development at puberty and can have significant effects on a young person’s physical and emotional wellbeing.
London Medical offers specialist endocrinology care from renowned paediatric endocrinologists. The consultants are supported by a team of specialist dieticians, clinical psychologists, and specialist nurses with experience and skills in treating and communicating with young people of all ages.
The specialist endocrinology team at London Medical supports children with hormone disorders from infancy to young adulthood. Older teenagers will be introduced to the adult endocrinologists and specialist nurses and supported to ensure a smooth and comfortable transition.
London Medical provides expert treatment and monitoring for many hormonal conditions for children and adolescents, including:
- Disorders of growth and puberty, including tall and short stature, and disorders of weight and menstrual rhythm
- Disorders of sexual differentiation
- Turner’s syndrome and other short stature skeletal dysplasias
- Adrenal disorders
- Thyroid disease including congenital hypothyroidism
- Neuroendocrine and pituitary related tumours
- Over and underactivity of the pituitary gland
- Endocrine effects of chronic disease and children on steroids treatment
- Late effects of childhood cancer treatment
- Assessment of reproductive capacity
- Metabolic bone disease
- Reduced bone mineralisation
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
London Medical offers a comprehensive range of endocrine tests and investigations for endocrine conditions in children and adolescents, including:
- Thyroid ultrasound and thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodule
- Insulin stress testing
- Glucagon stimulation test
- Dexamethasone suppression tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Pituitary releasing hormone tests
- Synacthen stimulation test
- Assessment of reproductive function
- Osteoporosis markers and bone density
- Day curves of different hormones
- Water deprivation test
Our Specialist Paediatricians
Dr Helen Spoudeas
Dr Spoudeas is part of an innovative split-site team of six endocrine consultants.
Our paediatric care clinic is based in the heart of London
What is a Normal Cholesterol? Thomas F. Lüscher, MD, FRCP, FESC Professor of Cardiology Imperial College and Kings College London and University of Zurich Contact…
Meet the Team: Invoicing’s Mariah Ribeiro Mariah joined London Medical ‘s invoicing team last year from Google. Here, she tells us about growing up in…
6 ways to prevent heart disease Professor James Scott explains how we can all reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems. It seems everything becomes heart-shaped…