Dr Malcolm Prentice
BSc MB BS FRCP
Specialties at a glance
Dr Malcolm Prentice is a Consultant in Endocrinology, Diabetes and General Medicine with a special interest in thyroid diseases. Specialities Include:
- General medicine
- Adrenal and pituitary disorders
- Goitre and cancer
- Radioactive iodine therapy
- Polycystic ovaries
- Reproductive endocrinology
- Thyroid and endocrine diseases in pregnancy
- Complex diabetes and diabetic complications
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Adrenocorticotropin stimulation tests (ACTH)
- Dexamethasone suppression test
- Fine needle thyroid biopsy
- Pituitary function test
- Synacthen test
- Vitamin D deficiency
About Dr Prentice
Dr Malcolm Prentice is a consultant in endocrinology, diabetes and general medicine with a special interest in thyroid diseases. He trained at King’s College Hospital, and has a BSc in Pharmacology from King’s College, London.
He was one of the first in the UK to set up a One-stop Thyroid Nodule Clinic with ultrasound, in 1990. In 2005, he initiated the annual National Training Course for Thyroid Ultrasound and Biopsy with the support of the Royal College of Radiologists, which he continues to run. He has over 30 year’s experience in thyroid ultrasound and biopsy. He is co-author of the National Guidelines for the Management of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. He is ARSAC licensed for radioactive iodine treatment of thyrotoxicosis and goitre.
NHS & Academic Posts
Dr Prentice is a Consultant Physician in Endocrinology, Diabetes and General Medicine at Croydon University Hospital and Honorary Consultant at St George’s Hospital, London. He has been a Clinical Teacher at the University of London since 1980s. He is a former Secretary and Treasurer of the British Thyroid Association. Dr Prentice is a Member of the UK Iodine Group which helps to promote safe iodine levels in the UK population, to avoid the risk of low IQ babies and complications in pregnancy.
- Prentice M. Time for change: renaming Diabetes Insipidus to improve patient safety? Clinical Endocrinology (Oxf). 2018 May;88(5):625-626.
- Inpatient Management of Cranial Diabetes Insipidus. Baldeweg S, Ball, S, Brooke A, Levy MJ, Prentice M, and Wass on Behalf of the Society of Endocrinology Clinical committee. Endocrine Connections. 7.7: G8-G11 2018.
- Levy M, Prentice M, Wass J, Practice Pointer: Diabetes Insipidus BMJ 364():l321, March 2, 2019.
- Prentice M, Hickey J, Vanderpump M, Taylor P N, Lazarus J H. Iodine and Folate essential for mothers to be Lancet Endocrinol and Diabetes 6th Jan 2020.
- Prentice J, Panter K, Attygalle A, Ind T, and Prentice M Pure T3 secretion from a struma ovarii characterised by a paradoxical Tree T4 rise with carbimazole therapy. Diabetes Endocrinology and Metabolism Case Reports DOI: https://doi.org/10.1530/EDM-19-0097 Jan 2020.
Articles & Videos
Contact the appointments team
Make an enquiry online using this form and one of our team will be in touch. By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by our team. Alternatively, you can contact us.
You don't need a referral from your GP to make an appointment with us.
Contact London Medical
London Medical is located in the Harley Street medical area. Together with top experts across a range of multi-disciplinary fields, we offer the finest facilities for your care, all under one roof.