London Medical provides cardiology care from leading experts to help keep your heart healthy
Chest pain is a frightening symptom, however most chest pain is not caused by problems with your heart. Your lungs, ribs, muscles and digestive system can all cause pain and discomfort in your chest. London Medical’s cardiac physicians are experts in identifying, treating and preventing cardiovascular disease. If you are concerned about pain, London Medical offers the latest cutting-edge investigations for chest pain, so that treatment can be targeted to relieve your symptoms and safeguard your future health.
When chest pain is an emergency
Some chest pain cannot wait for a routine appointment and investigations. You should call 999 and get urgent care if you develop sudden pain in your chest that:
- Feels tight, heavy or crushing
- Continues for more than 15 minutes
- Spreads into the arms, neck, jaw or through to the back
- Is associated with breathlessness, clamminess or sweating
- Makes you feel unwell, weak or nauseous
You may be having a heart attack, which needs immediate emergency treatment.
A clot in the lung causes sharp chest pain that’s worse on breathing in. It may be linked to breathlessness and coughing up blood. A Pulmonary Embolism is a medical emergency and should also be treated urgently in hospital.
Investigation of chest pain at London Medical
London Medical state-of-the-art cardiology clinic offers the latest investigative procedures for patients with chest pain. Some of the UK’s most renowned cardiologists provide expert assessment and treatment, supported by a team of dedicated cardiac nurses, ultrasound specialists, and physiology technicians. Depending on your symptoms, your examination and your health investigations could include:
- ECG recording
- Treadmill exercise stress tests
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring using the latest technology
- Ambulatory ECG recorders
- 24 hour tape to look for cardiac arrhythmias
Assessment of your risk of developing heart disease
London Medical offers an in-depth assessment of your individual risk of developing heart disease. A range of non-invasive tests are available from London Medical’s laboratory and the state-of-the-art imaging suite. The results are used to identify risk factors and evaluate your current heart health. Tests include:
- Screening for diabetes
- BP monitoring
- Comprehensive cholesterol and lipid profile: London Medical provides cutting-edge cholesterol and lipid testing to help assess your risk of cardiac disease. In addition to traditional cholesterol testing, London Medial exclusively offers LDL particle number analysis, one of the most powerful tools for predicting heart attack risk.
- Carotid artery ultrasound: Scanning the carotid artery in the neck is an effective, low-radiation way of measuring the lining thickness and the size of any fatty plaques. A coronary artery calcium score is also assessed and these results are used in conjunction with the findings from the cholesterol blood tests to provide an overall assessment of personal risk.
Dr George Amin-Youssef
Heart failure, valve and coronary artery disease, echo cardiograph. Exercise and stress echocardiography.
Professor Carlo Di Mario
Director Structural Interventional Cardiology University of Florence & Honorary Consultant Cardiologist Royal Brompton Hospital London
Dr Fadi Jouhra
Consultant Cardiologist in Heart Failure and Complex Devices at St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Frequently Asked Questions
Anyone can get heart disease, however some people are more at risk. Your age, your lifestyle and your general health can all affect your vulnerability to coronary artery disease:
- Increasing age
- Family history of heart attacks or angina particularly in people less than 60 years of age
- High blood pressure
- Raised levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol
Flu and Pneumonia Vaccinations Protect yourself this winter with PRIVATE Flu and Pneumonia Vaccinations from London Medical We are happy to provide you with a…
Protecting our patients Here at London Medical, we have devised a new floor plan to ensure all our patients can be looked after as safely…
Re-opening of London Medical for patient visits Whilst we continue to offer remote consultations and home testing for the majority of our services, we recognise…